Mental Health First Aid
Kate Dawson at the MHFA course.
About the Mental Health First Aid Course
Mental distress is becoming increasingly common in our parishes and faith communities as the effects of the recession as well as other pressures of modern life are felt. Telos Training is pleased to be able to offer again the Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) course with a special focus on those involved in pastoral work in Faith Communities, Chaplaincies, Parishes, Deaneries and Dioceses. MHFA is a 12-hour, nationally accredited course, delivered over 2 days. The course provides an overview of common mental health problems, causes, symptoms and treatments, and teaches participants how to:
- recognise distress
- recognise the difference between Therapy and First Aid
- be confident in administering help in a First Aid situation
- provide initial help and guide a person towards appropriate support
The Aims of the Mental Health First Aid Course are to:
- preserve life where a person may be a danger to themselves or others
- provide help to prevent the mental health problems developing into a more serious state
- promote the recovery of good mental health
- provide comfort to a person experiencing a mental health problem
- reduce stigma and discrimination through education
MHFA has been developed and regulated by the National Institute for Mental Health in England (NIMHE) and England's Care Services Improvement Partnerships (CSIP). The tutor is Kate Dawson, Training Consultant with Telos Training. Kate is an accredited MHFA trainer.
Participants will receive a Certificate of Attendance and a handbook with useful information and resources.
Mental Health First Aid has proved increasingly useful for Faith Communities who would like to provide more effective outreach and help for those who experience mental distress. ‘Welcome Me as I Am’ has already provided programmes for the Catholic Church and the Salvation Army through Telos Traning. Contact us here if you would like to discuss the provision of an MHFA programme to your Parish, Deanery, Diocese or Faith Community – remember that all training for Faith Communities benefits from a reduction of 40% on our normal fees.
Implemented and hosted by Canterbury Web Services Limited © 2006-2015